Zentai research results

Are you looking for a particular suit? Post here!

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

wtm
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

Zentai research results

Postby wtm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Okay, so in my quest to find that one perfect store, I sent out a bunch of emails to various Chinese stores, inquiring about two things:

First, the composition of the fabric and the percentage of spandex. Higher spandex count = shinier suit. Morphsuits have 13%, and they're suuuuuper shiny. Superfansuits have 9%, hence they're not as shiny. Spandex percentage can be used as a rough indicator of quality, since more spandexy fabric also tends to be a little more expensive. (Of course, it doesn't speak at all to fit.)

Second, whether or not that nasty forehead seam can be removed.

I've also shot out a bunch of messages to friends on Fetlife. If they recommend any other stores, I will send more emails and update.

I will update this post with results as replies trickle in. Hope this helps some of you.

Morphsuits - 13% spandex. Head seam not removable, they're mass-produced. But the seam is small and unnoticeable.
Superfansuits - 9% spandex. They use a weird head pattern. Haven't emailed them to see if they can do another head stitching pattern, but I honestly doubt it.
Cosfun - 8% spandex*. Head seam removable.
Bonhoo - spandex percentage is pretty high judging from Fetlife pictures. Head seam not removable.
Justincostume - spandex percentage is probably around 9%, medium shininess. Head seam removable.
Zentai-zentai - 20% spandex. Head seam removable.
Zentai Zone - 20% spandex. Head seam NOT removable.
Spandexforfun - 10% spandex. They use a weird head pattern similar to SFS. Haven't emailed them but I doubt that pattern will change.
CostumesOK - Haven't heard back from them, but a guy on Fetlife says they have no head seam and it looks like they have moderate shininess.
Zentaifan / Lycra-zentai - waiting...

* Okay, I've seen Cosfun suits and they seem shinier than 8%... anyone care to comment?
Last edited by wtm on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverling
Zentai Passionate
Zentai Passionate

Re: Zentai research results

Postby silverling » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Interesting research! What about the feel of the fabric? More spandex means more slippery soft?
covershots
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby covershots » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I wonder if that nice head seam you object to improves the fit. Personally I don't care how many seams there are, provided that those seams contribute to a good fit.

If your research has found a firm that uses a particularly obnoxious number of seams, I'd be very interested in knowing about them, as they might have a well-fitting product.
Raccoon
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

Postby Raccoon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:01 am

silverling wrote:Interesting research! What about the feel of the fabric? More spandex means more slippery soft?

In general, more spandex means more stretch. Some swimsuits use up to 18%. 15% seems to be common. I try to avoid buying less then 12%. "slippery soft" is more due to the fabric weave and the other components. Nylon (but not Supplex!) is pretty shiny and slippery. Rayon (sometime made from bamboo) is known for being soft. Polyester can be all over the map.

I've asked for fabric swatches before, but I prefer to buy an inexpensive item, such as a hood or thong for better evaluation.
I've not done any of this in a while, being in the "learn to sew" phase.

Edit: We did get some unitards made by Baltogs last year. The Nylon/14% spandex fabric they use is rather nice. Would also recommend their velvet too. (Forwarn: Their "closed face hooded unitards"(ie zentai) have a seam down the center of the face.) Available from dance suppliers everywhere.
wtm
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

Postby wtm » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:19 pm

covershots wrote:I wonder if that nice head seam you object to improves the fit. Personally I don't care how many seams there are, provided that those seams contribute to a good fit.

Yes - Maggie from Cosfun explained why it's there - it allows the fabric to conform to the curve of the head more. Without that seam, you risk getting the head 'ruffles" that you sometimes see on poorly-fitting hoods.

That being said I have suits without that seam, and given that the hood is sufficiently tight it really makes no difference - hence, why I prefer no seam.
zentailifestyle
Zentai Passionate
Zentai Passionate

Postby zentailifestyle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:10 pm

wtm wrote:
First, the composition of the fabric and the percentage of spandex. Higher spandex count = shinier suit.

Sorry, but that is not correct. More spandex = stretchier suit.
If I remember correctly, spandex is not even shiny. It's the other fibers in the blend (like nylon) that gives the shine, or a special coating.

The more spandex/lycra/elasthane in the blend, the more fitting the suit is. It's usually a good thing, but if you really need a snug suit, there shouldn't be too much spandex.
A blend of 80% nylon and 20% spandex is usually a good compromise.
zentailifestyle
Zentai Passionate
Zentai Passionate

Postby zentailifestyle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:12 pm

silverling wrote:Interesting research! What about the feel of the fabric? More spandex means more slippery soft?

No. Nylon means slippery soft. Spandex means more rubber-like-stretchiness.
Cheaper suits are not made from Nylon anymore, they are made from a polyester blend (that is not as shiny or soft as Nylon)

Return to “I am looking for...”