Metallic vs. "Normal" fabrics

An area for all your hints, tips and advice on designing your dream Zentai suit.

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

djgunner88
Zentai Passionate
Zentai Passionate

Metallic vs. "Normal" fabrics

Postby djgunner88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 am

I just got a metallic green suit off of ebay today, and I'm excited for it to get here...but I was just wondering how different the experience is of wearing metallic fabric instead of the normal non-coated fabric. I have a Spider-Man costume from Halloween and a Bodyweaver black suit that I wear often, but this is my first delve into metallics. Anything I can expect?
Emjx
Admin
Admin

Postby Emjx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 am

The metallic suits are generally more restrictive and tighter than normal suits which is a very nice feel! On the downside, the coating can wear off after a time - wash carefully would be the best advice. The metallics do look really good though - I love my metallic mermaid Zentai suit!!
Catsuitgirl

Postby Catsuitgirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi,

I made the experience, that the cheaper suits off ebay wear off the coating quite fast (at least the ones i bought). Some even didn't survive the first wearing for half an hour, others were damaged during washing (even when done gently).

Other suits with different coatings (such as baltog suits) are much better from the coating point of view... the last way longer!

Greetings,
CG
ShinyBlue

Postby ShinyBlue » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Yeah, metallics from chinese manufactuers don't last too long...

The coating wears down from fricition pretty easily. I think human sweat is a bit of a factor in regular wear too. Problem areas tend to be the soles of the feet, joints, the armpit area, and the face (mostly since your breath is moist).

Here's an example:
If you look at the feet, you'll notice the coating has worn off completely, revealing the standard lycra underneath.

The fabric is definately much less flexible. My first suit was too small and it was literally a pain to put on. Eventually it did this:

Oh and stay away from water!
I went swimming and ended up like this:

Before:
After:

So in conclusion. Metallics look awesome. But the chinese ones don't last very long and you have to be careful when you wear them

P.S. I moved this thread to Suit Design. The metallics vs standard lycra question comes up a lot actually. I figured if we put it there, people can find this thread more easily when the question comes up again.
djgunner88
Zentai Passionate
Zentai Passionate

Postby djgunner88 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 am

How about breathing?
Obviously you've all survived multiple sessions wearing them without asphyxiating yourselves! It seems like it will be restricted, but I just don't know how much.
ShinyBlue

Postby ShinyBlue » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 am

That really depends on the fabric actually. There's a bit of variation. In general it is harder to breathe and see through the fabric. You'll probably breathe through your mouth more. I've had some suits where it's not bad at all and some that there is ZERO visibility and it's almost like wearing a bag or something.
Chargoth
Zentai Owner
Zentai Owner

Postby Chargoth » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 am

I've never done metallic, but they look nice from what I've seen online.
Maybe I'll eventually try one myself.. Perhaps silver, or blue.. Though I would have to make sure it was the right size.. since it sounds like they are a bit trickier to work with.. Though I'm not there yet, could be a while.. on this one
TightLycrasuits
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby TightLycrasuits » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 pm

That some suits do not stand up to moisture comes as little surprise, the coating of cheaper suits is described by the manufacturers as gelatinize - sounds like gelatine, which is not water resistant in the first place.

Another thing to avoid is drying the suit in the tumble dryer - even on the reduced heat and synthetics settings. The fabric dries unevenly, spots which dried soonest were subsequently roasted to a deep brown. Even though the fabric felt quite cool when I checked throughout the drying cycle.

What the chlorine/ disinfectant in a swimming pool would do to the dye with which a suit is coated is anybody's guess.
ShinyBlue

Postby ShinyBlue » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm

TightLycrasuits wrote:
What the chlorine/ disinfectant in a swimming pool would do to the dye with which a suit is coated is anybody's guess.

Aside fromt he moisture issues that cause the coating to wear off. The chlorine in the pool makes the lycra more "brittle" for lack of a better word. All the suits I've used in pools feel more stiff and material feels like it's thined.
JLP99
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Met. vs. norm.

Postby JLP99 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:12 am

ShinyBlue wrote:That really depends on the fabric actually. There's a bit of variation. In general it is harder to breathe and see through the fabric. You'll probably breathe through your mouth more. I've had some suits where it's not bad at all and some that there is ZERO visibility and it's almost like wearing a bag or something.

That's the point; most of the metallic fabrics are harder to breath, especially first time using them; one thing I expierienced: to pull the hood as thight down/ to your face as possible, so that the fabric gets stretched as much as possible; if the hood is loose/wider, you will get that "rebreathing effect" like a "bag".

The cheaper metallic ones from cn loose coating on the complete surface (not only pieces), by each time washing them; then they re nearly same as normal fabric nd could also be used in the wet easily;-).

JL

By the way, hear s one good example for wet metallic:

http://clips4sale.com/studio/11396

page 2, Zentai underwater

Return to “Suit Design - Hints & Tips”