Designing a banesuit

An area for all your hints, tips and advice on designing your dream Zentai suit.

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

Emjx
Admin
Admin

Designing a banesuit

Postby Emjx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Ever since reading the banesuit story (read it here), I have always wanted to design and build my own suit. I came up with a division of the project in to 4 core issues which need to be overcome to get a proper "bane experience":

1. Vision - in the original bane suit story, vision is not direct - i.e. the eudamon is able to control the colour of what the wearer sees and if the wearer can actually see
  2. Sustenance - food and water is not via the mouth. In practice, this isn't really possible but the key point is that the suit doesn't open to allow solid food into the wearers mouth
  3. Ablutions - like with food, ablutions is via the maintenance station and again, the suit doesn't come off
  4. Waste - see ablutions!

To get a suit as close to the banesuit as possible, I think the following rules need to be followed:

1. Vision should be via camera & screens
  2. The only (temporary) suit opening should be via the crotch
  3. Ablutions & waste must be scheduled and not defined by the wearer
  4. The suit should have some capacity for stored sustenance

So far, I have started with the vision side of things by using a RaspberryPI mini-computer and the small camera that is available for it. Screen wise, I have a 4.3" screen that plugs into the RPi. Duplicating that setup for each eye is straightforward and includes redundancy. Issues to resolve are that the ensemble is bulky measuring around 4cm x 9cm x 6cm. Restrictions are the short length of camera cable (can't be extended). The RPi can be run of AA batteries though.
gpr
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Re: Designing a banesuit

Postby gpr » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Might I make a suggestion for the vision element?

How about a Google Cardboard VR viewer? With a a smartphone screen on bright you can see it through a suit easily. You can then download the VR Player app on Android and there's an option to turn the camera on and project it to your VR player. I've used it before on a suit.
Emjx
Admin
Admin

Postby Emjx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:49 am

I like that idea! It looks like VR Player supports external URLs so theoretically, I could stream external video signals to the device with VR Player on.
gpr
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby gpr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Emjx wrote:I like that idea! It looks like VR Player supports external URLs so theoretically, I could stream external video signals to the device with VR Player on.

That's pretty clever. Could open up an opportunity for you to see yourself in your suit from a 3rd person viewpoint!
Emjx
Admin
Admin

Postby Emjx » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:53 pm

gpr wrote:
Emjx wrote:I like that idea! It looks like VR Player supports external URLs so theoretically, I could stream external video signals to the device with VR Player on.

That's pretty clever. Could open up an opportunity for you to see yourself in your suit from a 3rd person viewpoint!

With multiple banesuits, each helmet could be fitted with a camera that transmits its picture so that the other suits could pick up the transmission. So, rather than the wearer seeing directly in front, they could see themselves in 3rd person only. It would give a truly interesting reliability on others. Another approach would be to rig fixed cameras and set it that you could only see via those fixed cameras in a CCTV/birds-eye view way. This might make an interesting experience for a few wearers.
gpr
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby gpr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Not for everyone but it would be interesting to "swap" viewpoints with someone of the opposite gender.
Emjx
Admin
Admin

Postby Emjx » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:34 pm

gpr wrote:Not for everyone but it would be interesting to "swap" viewpoints with someone of the opposite gender.

How do you mean? View from the opposite gender's point of view or as a member of the opposite gender?
that guy
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

Postby that guy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 am

Emjx wrote: Restrictions are the short length of camera cable (can't be extended). The RPi can be run of AA batteries though.

Actually, you can extend the rpi camera cable. I made a 1.5 meter extension cable by hand soldering 20+ 28g wires to the appropriate connectors, and then twisting them together. I forget what parts I actually used, but I remember the twisting was vital for correct operation.
gpr
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby gpr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 pm

Emjx wrote:
gpr wrote:Not for everyone but it would be interesting to "swap" viewpoints with someone of the opposite gender.

How do you mean? View from the opposite gender's point of view or as a member of the opposite gender?

If you had a female friend you could have her viewpoint streamed to your VR headset and vice versa perhaps.. Just a thought!

Return to “Suit Design - Hints & Tips”