Help designing print file

An area for all your hints, tips and advice on designing your dream Zentai suit.

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

skinahtt
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Help designing print file

Postby skinahtt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 am

hello there, big zentai fan here. I recently decided to go to zentaizone.com to do a custom skeleton suit (print on front and back), and after some emails they provided me with a print file template, already sized to my height. However, I did not receive instructions or help on how/where to place my design images into the template. Can anyone help me out? I have the skeleton design and the print file template. Any help is very appreciated. :)
Mr_Zent
Zentai Jedi
Zentai Jedi

Re: Help designing print file

Postby Mr_Zent » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 am

You'd be better off asking the retailer how to do it, since they're the only ones using that type of system.
Trevor
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby Trevor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:37 am

Hello, skinahtt!

The use of print files seems to be very common for making Spiderman suits. e.g.:

Finding the details as to how the patterns are made took a while, but here are a couple links which reveal a bit about the process:
:)

Would you describe the template that ZentaiZone provided? Was it an image (perhaps a .tiff or .psd file), that looked somewhat like this:

--Trevor
skinahtt
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby skinahtt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 am

Yep, it is exactly like that outline. I have an understanding somewhat of where some things go, but am having a difficult journey so far, as I'm not sure if I'm sizing or lining everything up properly (the bones, skullface mask) Its intended to be a skeleton design on black zentai, but with full back print too (a lot if not all skeleton zentais I've seen have blank backsides). Needless to say I'm having trouble with arm/legbone placement (front and back), thumb bone placement, and not 100% on how to go about designing the mask part. I could always take a crack at it, and post a screenshot of the result. :)
skinahtt
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby skinahtt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:44 pm

here is a rough draft, I used a TASM2 template found on here and left the web overlay in to help myself understand placement a bit better. Still having trouble though; maybe print-file savvy folks here can take a look and see if this looks right, or looks like it may come out looking off. Image
Trevor
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby Trevor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 am

skinahtt wrote:here is a rough draft, I used a TASM2 template found on here and left the web overlay in to help myself understand placement a bit better. Still having trouble though; maybe print-file savvy folks here can take a look and see if this looks right, or looks like it may come out looking off. Image

I don't recall coming across anyone on Ayus that used print files to create their own suits, nor do I know if your pattern is lined up exactly where it should be. Hopefully someone will step forward! I'm sure that many of us would like to know more about designing our own suits. Note that you might have better luck asking for guidance at http://www.therpf.com/, a forum which specializes in making costumes.

But man, your suit design looks great! I did find a posting on the http://www.therpf.com site, which uses color coding to illustrate where each part of the pattern ends up on the final suit.

I've looked, but not yet found a tool that allows one to switch between 3D models and a print or pattern file. One would think that some CAD packages would might be able to handle it. It would take some work, but perhaps you could print a small version of your current design on fabric or even adhesive backed paper, and try to assemble it, to see if it would look right. Looks like you have most of the parts in at least the correct area, but you might want to add something for the "palm pieces".

Someday, perhaps we could use 3D printers or fab machines to produce suits on demand!
skinahtt
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby skinahtt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:05 am

Oops, I meant to say I found a template over on therpf forums :O I did some lurking on both there and here, but I get the two a bit mixed up sometimes since I am new to both. Sorry for the confusion ^_^

I managed to come across that color coded chart, which helped me understand where things go, but still I find myself unsure. It would be very handy if a 3D preview program existed for it, agreed! I will definitely give therpf forums a try. Thanks very much for the help and advice!

Good tip regarding the palms. I also still need to finish up the feet design. But thank you! I've never designed a suit before, and although it is a pain to learn, it is also kind of fun. :) If anyone else might see this and have additional tips, feel free to share!
Trevor
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby Trevor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 pm

This afternoon, read a post about a seamstress that specializes in sewing costumes from print files. A bit of searching turned up Trophywife on Facebook. Check out:

https://www.facebook.com/trophywifeseamstress/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Trevor
Zentai Droid
Zentai Droid

Postby Trevor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Also came across generic print file on Sellfy that Taylor McManus sells: https://sellfy.com/p/EjLC/. It does require Photoshop.

"This a base pattern for creating your own dye-sub costume. The file comes as a .PSD and every layer is separate, and customizable."

mrtharle
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby mrtharle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:51 pm

hi i am after a pdf file for a white morph suit design with muscle def please could someone help me find on check image attached

Return to “Suit Design - Hints & Tips”