Not all metallic fabrics are created equal

An area for all your hints, tips and advice on designing your dream Zentai suit.

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

always lycra
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Key words to help you buy the right fabric online

Postby always lycra » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi,

If you look for the words "4 way stretch Tricot", you should be okay.
Jumbo lycra is what is used for NFL football pants, and it's a great heavyweight 4 way stretch.

I've sewn lycra for over 30 years, and these are some basics that'll help you buy what will work for you, without disappointments.

Best,
always lycra
dsuit
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

material

Postby dsuit » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Fets Fash uses good materials. I have a few of the latex style fabrics from them and if I read it right I believe they are the polymer style. after they stretch out, they stretch back down and look like they did before. the suits made in china stretched out and then cracked the surface,and there suits were always scratchy. The fets suits are more expensive but totally worth it. And yes they do not breath. putting it on the foot/leg balloons out from the trapped air.
lycratim
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby lycratim » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Could this polymer-coated metallic fabric be washed without damaging? I had some metallic suits from China before, and every time I washed them by hands, some paint fell off from the layer, and resulted in being no longer shiny. Because of those experience, I guessed all fabrics with a coating layer could not be keep shiny look for long time after water-washing. But now the polymer-coated metallic fabric seems to be very high quality. I hope it would not be as delicate as heat-treat one, because I really like metallic suits.
always lycra
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby always lycra » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:07 pm

lycratim wrote:Could this polymer-coated metallic fabric be washed without damaging? I had some metallic suits from China before, and every time I washed them by hands, some paint fell off from the layer, and resulted in being no longer shiny.

How are you washing these suits? Lycra needs to be hand washed by gently swishing in cold/cool water, and rinsed the same way. Lay it flat to dry, never subjected to heat in a dryer.
If you've hand washed like this, you should contact the manufacturer of the suits for their advice.

I hope this helps.

always lycra
throughfare
Zentai Pro
Zentai Pro

Postby throughfare » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:46 pm

lycratim wrote:Could this polymer-coated metallic fabric be washed without damaging? I had some metallic suits from China before, and every time I washed them by hands, some paint fell off from the layer, and resulted in being no longer shiny. Because of those experience, I guessed all fabrics with a coating layer could not be keep shiny look for long time after water-washing. But now the polymer-coated metallic fabric seems to be very high quality. I hope it would not be as delicate as heat-treat one, because I really like metallic suits.

The cheap Chinese material does lose its metallic coat faster than the high-quality material IME, I've had suits made of both, and the one form the polymer-coated material from Italy is still going strong, while all the Chinese ones have bare areas.
always lycra
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby always lycra » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 pm

This is a clear case of you get what you pay for. If a low price is the main objective to purchasing a suit, the quality is probably going to suffer.

Just my .02
lycratim
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby lycratim » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am

always lycra wrote:How are you washing these suits? Lycra needs to be hand washed by gently swishing in cold/cool water, and rinsed the same way. Lay it flat to dry, never subjected to heat in a dryer.
If you've hand washed like this, you should contact the manufacturer of the suits for their advice.

I hope this helps.

always lycra

Thanks throughfare for the reply, now I know what's difference completely. And to always lycra, I wash those suits by hands in cool water. Because of sweat, I always add washing powder to the water. Often pushing suits into deeper water and pulling them leaving it repaetedly, I don't soak them quietly. Finally let it dry in the room air without using dryer. The major parts of paint discoloring happened to where rubbing frequently.
Not all discoloring problem came from water-washing. Once I got a new metallic blue suit, and I wore it without any washing. Just because of lots of sweat, I found there were many discoloring patches on the suit after wearing it three hours. The sweat made blue paint becoming silver-like or light blue color. And the seller let me replace it by another metallic black suit.
lycratim
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby lycratim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:13 pm

throughfare wrote:The cheap Chinese material does lose its metallic coat faster than the high-quality material IME, I've had suits made of both, and the one form the polymer-coated material from Italy is still going strong, while all the Chinese ones have bare areas.

Hi, throughfare, would you mind to provide info of the shopping site where you got your polymer coated suit? I'm interested in this kind of fabric.
By the way, I wrote to Nadia, asked about supe shiny metal black lycra( http://www.stretchstyle.it/gw1/pages/SuperShinyMetalBlackLycra.html ). She didn't tell me the fabric is coated by polymer or not, just said the paint is delicate. Did anyone shop suit made by this fabric from stretchstyle before? Hope someone could share the experience of those metal lycra from Nadia.
tightfetish
Zentai Owner
Zentai Owner

Postby tightfetish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 pm

This is a question for anyone who has bought from Judy Zentai. Can you breath/ see through her metallic suits? I just ordered one and can't wait to get it but I hope I didn't get a bad product
throughfare
Zentai Pro
Zentai Pro

Postby throughfare » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:08 pm

lycratim wrote:Hi, throughfare, would you mind to provide info of the shopping site where you got your polymer coated suit? I'm interested in this kind of fabric.

Hi Lycratim,

Nadia makes great suits, but I haven't bought a metallic lycra one from her. I bought a metalic suit from Judy in China, not realizing it would be the cheap material. When I got it, it was terrible, and the coating started to come off with the first wash. I wrote to Ani, who had gotten a silver metallic suit from Judy, and she said hers was the same. I also talked to a lady who sews custom lycrawear, and she explained about how the cheap material is made (heat rolling) vs. the good material (polymer coated).

I then went off to a fabric store in Toronto, Canada & bought some polymer-coated fabric from Italy (it's imported by a company in Quebec, but I don't remember their name) then I made the polymer coated suit I have by myself.

Knowing Nadia, I'm sure she uses the good metallic lycra, but her English is a little bit weak, so it can be hard to figure out what she's saying at times. Another person who I haven't gotten anything from, but who would probably be able to tell you about the material quite well is spandexwear.com ( http://www.spandexwear.com/~spandexw/pages.php?pageid=16 has a metallic suit you can look at)

I would look around in fabric stores in Taiwan, though. You'll probably find one that carries the material. You can tell the good stuff because it stretches as much as regular lycra, and coating is very smooth. The heat-rolled stuff isn't as smooth-looking, and it has very little stretch compared to regular lycra. Also, the polymer-coated fabric is much more expensive, here in Toronto you can get either normal nylon lycra ro the heat-rolled stuff for $10- $18 per meter, but the polymer-coated kind is $25-$40 (bought it from the store charging $25, needless to say :cheesy: )

Then you have to make a suit, or find a sewer to make it for you. See http://www.stretchy.org for info on how to make your own suit. There's also a video series with good information: http://www.ehow.com/video_4410332_what-unitard.html

Return to “Suit Design - Hints & Tips”