Not all metallic fabrics are created equal

An area for all your hints, tips and advice on designing your dream Zentai suit.

Moderators: Wolf, ShinyBlue, Catsuitgirl, VanMan

silversurfer
Zentai Owner
Zentai Owner
Location: West Midlands, South West depending on work commitments

R.E. Metallic suits

Postby silversurfer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 am

Thanks for all the advice posted here-very useful! Its a pity the short-comings of metallic suits have been highlighted now and not a week earlier. I have just ordered two Chinese metallic zentai (one silver and one black). I was wondering if there is a safe way of washing these without damaging them. These will be my first zentai-so I'm really looking forward to eventually getting them and want to keep them in good condition. Does it always take over a week to get suits shipped from China? Even when using express mail? I only ask because I'm getting impatient and postage was extortionate!!!!
I would love a suit in the Crocodile style fabric like Bluelycra's-that is amazing with the mods done. Does zentai have to be made of lycra/spandex or are other materials like pvc and latex acceptable or bordering on the fringe of zentai ettiquette?
Izzy

Postby Izzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:41 am

silversurfer wrote:Does it always take over a week to get suits shipped from China? Even when using express mail? I only ask because I'm getting impatient and postage was extortionate!!!!

Unfortunately. :( If you buy through one of the eBay sellers, it can take nearly a month. For that speed (rather, the lack thereof), the prices are terribly high. The standard practice, I believe, on eBay is to have most of the price of the suit in with the shipping costs. I assume eBay takes their cut from the sale price, not shipping, so the seller doesn't have to pay as much to eBay, which I think is pretty... cheap. :p ush:
throughfare
Zentai Pro
Zentai Pro

Postby throughfare » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:44 am

Izzy wrote:eBay takes their cut from the sale price, not shipping, so the seller doesn't have to pay as much to eBay

yes, it cuts the commission to eBay, although eBay does mitigate that a bit with their fee structure.

Also, it's advantageous to the buyer since the lower sale price of the suit means you pay lower customs duty and/or taxes in countries where these are charged.

OTOH, if the difference between sale price & shipping gets too ridiculous, there might be a risk of having customs or post office officials declare an "assumed value" for the item because the declared price is not credible- but I've never seen that happen to me or anyone I know.

TF
silversurfer
Zentai Owner
Zentai Owner

Postby silversurfer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks guys, I realised these companies were trying to get round the import taxes but A MONTH!!!!! TO SHIP!!!!AGHHHHH!
Oh well gives me time to shop around for another suit, this time from Europe!
Have a good weekend!
ShinyBlue

Postby ShinyBlue » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I typically get my suits from JudyZentai.com. I make it a point to get it by certified mail. My suits on average come in within two weeks of me placing an order. As to washing a metallic. I have no idea whatsoever. Water is like the mortal enemy of the metallic coating. You'll just to have to handle it carefully and make sure nothing gets rubbed, even the suit against it self.
silversurfer
Zentai Owner
Zentai Owner

Postby silversurfer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks Shiny-Judyzentai has a great range, will look at getting one from there in the future.
pumpedupguy
Zentai Curious
Zentai Curious

Postby pumpedupguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 pm

I got a metallica black/silver spiderman costume from ebay (longbing_998). Used him/her before as the delivery is 2 weeks and it's sent recorded. Anyway, the metallic suit - it's a limited stretch one and it's just amazing ! I love the constriction - I love that it's hard to get on - also it's impossible to see out of as the silver eye peice is just sewn over the shiny black hood so there's two opaque layers. It's hard to move in too as the arms and legs are so tight. My girlfriend likes it too - but she wouldn't let me sleep in it :-(.

So even though it might be cheaper than a decent quality suit it really does have its plusses. I suspect durability isn't going to be one of those plusses.
BatmanBeyond2009
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

I vouche for SPANDEX HOUSE in NYC!

Postby BatmanBeyond2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 am

I also agree: SPANDEX HOUSE is the best place in NYC for Spandex material: http://www.spandexhouse.com/Index.asp. That's where I got my black fabric for my spectacular, home-made cosplay Batman Beyond suit. I was just there recently looking at another type of their fabric and I'm designing a UPGRADE version of 'Batman Beyond' future suit, but gotta stay with previous requested suits. :cheesy:

gaz_a wrote:For unsual fabrics I would recommend Spandex House in NYC, they have dozens of rolls of coated spandex of all types, I took a few swatches and took a photo of them a while back, I'll dig it out and post it sometime. Next time I go back I'll buy a few yards of each and try and get a zentai made from them. Some have coatings that look rugged enough to withstand zentai use.
BatmanBeyond2009
Zentai Wrapped
Zentai Wrapped

I already got my swatches samples today....

Postby BatmanBeyond2009 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 am

Oh, the POSSIBILITIES of making suits are ENDLESS for me now! These are some of what I was thinking of making for some future zentai suits(a couple of them may be part of a 'future Halloween ideas' as well). I don't want to read like 'I'm BRAGGIN' here, but I'M EVER SO HAPPY to learn&know HOW TO MAKE MY OWN Zentai suits!

gaz_a wrote:For unsual fabrics I would recommend Spandex House in NYC, they have dozens of rolls of coated spandex of all types, I took a few swatches and took a photo of them a while back, I'll dig it out and post it sometime. Next time I go back I'll buy a few yards of each and try and get a zentai made from them. Some have coatings that look rugged enough to withstand zentai use.
Attachments
Multi Colors 5384.jpg
HologramSnakeSkin Silver 5427.jpg
Hologram WhiteScales 2069.JPG
Hologram Turquoise 5160.jpg
Hologram Red 5452.jpg
Hologram Electric Red 5445.jpg
Hologram Electric Blue 5443.jpg
GreenBlack 4145.jpg
BlackOrange Neon 4185.jpg
BlackBlue Neon 4182.jpg
throughfare
Zentai Pro
Zentai Pro

Postby throughfare » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Just thought I would post a note that Nadia ( http://www.stretchstyle.it ) has a suit made from the high-quality metallic fabric with 4-way stretch just like regular lycra. You can see it here:

http://www.stretchstyle.it/gw2/pages/MetallicGoldItalianLycra.html

(You can also see some of her zentai creations being used in stage shpws by clicking on the links here: http://www.stretchstyle.it/gc1/index.html )

TF

Return to “Suit Design - Hints & Tips”